Get a cup of coffee and sit tight ‘cause this is gonna piss you off a bit. This process will take up to 15 mins if not more. Unlocking bootloader will factory reset your device so always take backups. During the process do not turn off your PC or disconnect USB cable from phone.
Disclaimer: I’ll not be responsible if your device gets bricked, follow the steps correctly you will be safe.
Note: Before proceeding keep battery more than 40%, Install drivers and turn on USB Debugging in developer settings.
3 STEPS TO ROOT YOUR MOTO X
1 – UNLOCK BOOTLOADER
- Install Fastboot to PC (Usually C:\ADB) & copy the ‘twrp recovery’ to installed directory.
- Shift + Right Click anywhere in the installed directory & ‘open cmd from here’.
- Type the exact command in cmd and enter => fastboot reboot-bootloader
- Type in cmd => fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Head to this link from Moto support and login
- Copy the code from cmd, paste it and click on
- Get UNLOCK CODE on your email.
- Type your received key in CMD => fastboot oem unlock UNLOCK_KEY
- When asked, select YES. You’ve successfully unlocked bootloader, keep the cmd open.
2 – INSTALL CUSTOM RECOVERY (TWRP)
- Again type => fastboot reboot-bootloader. OR Power + Volume Down when switch off.
- Type in cmd with the filename you downloaded => fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-220.127.116.11-ghost.img
3 – INSTALL SUPERSU
- Copy Supersu zip to your phone using USB cable and switch off.
- Press Power + Volume Down and select recovery.
- Install zip and swipe to confirm. Reboot.
- Violla!! Your Moto X has now been rooted.